Saturday, April 24, 2010

Derby Mini-Marathon

The morning didn't start out well - my first mini and I was completely unprepared. Left my watch and sunglasses at home. On top of that my iPod didn't work and I haven't ran yet without listening to music. So I was expecting to be bored and not finish with a good time, but it was the opposite. I didn't mind not having music after a while and I finished under my goal of 1:50:00. We started in Iroquois passed DeSales High School and moved through Iroquois Park. It was about Mile 4 when we came out of the park and with the major hills out of the way I decided to pick up the pace. The race continued down Southern Pkwy, through Churchill Downs and then down 4th street into downtown. By the end of the race I moved up passed two pace groups (guys who run with signs with different paces so people can run with him and at the correct pace throughout the race). I felt like I was running smoothly the whole time, most people speed up the last couple miles or so, but I had no reason to push myself with being under my goal pace for most of the race. I think that's why I've stayed healthy and have had almost zero problems physically because I didn't overdue it since our training has started. Shelby ran a good time as well finishing right over 1:58:00. Creeden also made it through at a decent time 2:17:00; even though he was happy with it, I bet if you asked him 4 months ago he never would've thought he could have done that. Overall great experience, the bad weather held off and I feel accomplished. Thank you to Shelby for signing me up without my knowledge - otherwise I wouldn't have ran. Big thanks to Erin, Tyler and Mom for coming down to cheer us on.



Marathon 2011 365 days away





MICHAEL RUSSELL #4381
LOUISVILLE, KY
Age: 26 Gender: M
1:48:11
DistanceHALF MAR
Clock Time1:50:01
Chip Time1:48:11
Gender Place731 / 4451
Division Place111 / 618
Oall906
CtzUSA
10K51:16
15K1:15:59
Divt618
Sext4451

1 comment: